My little baby M is nearly 8 months old and I’ve been weaning her since she was 5 months. First thing I started her on was carrot. She absolutely loved it. Then tried fruit – she was ok, I kept trucking and she was fine with simple veggie and fruit. When I start with proteins she wasn’t so keen. Soon after I tried her on baby led weaning and she got really frustrated that the food wasn’t actually going into her stomach – she was just getting the taste but not the calories so I think I’ll still keep going with a combination of both.
Here’s the routine I implement (since we start with 3 meals) if it’s helpful to anyone:
Breastfeeding at 7am
Breakfast between 8am – 9am (food)
Sleep at 10am
Lunch at 12.00 (food)
Sleep at 1.30 to 2.30pm
Dinner at 5pm (food)
Bath at 5.45pm
Breastfeeding at 6.15pm
Bed at 6:45pm
We get 12 hours sleep, some nights she wakes up, all part of babyhood 😉
Today I made this cod, pea and green apple with coconut milk (recipe below).
Cod with Pea and Green Apple in Coconut Milk
- 90g cod fillet
- 1 green apple peeled and cut into cubes
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 tsp of dry / fresh dill
- 1tsp of sunflower oil
- 150ml of coconut milk (or desired ammount)
*makes 3-4 portions
*suitable for freezing
*suitable from 6 months
*Prep time 10 minutes
*Cooking 20-30 minutes
- Add pea into boiling water and boil for 4-5 minutes
- Steam apple for 6-8 minutes
- Heat oil in saucepan (ideally non-stick one) place cod fillet skin down touching the hot pan, and cook the fish until starting to get brown and crispy.
- Once the fish starting to crispy flip the fish and continue to cook the fish 4-5 minutes.
- Cool cod for about 10 minutes than chop by hand and all together (fish, apple, pea and dill) puree in food processor or place in bowl and use hand blender.
- Blend for few seconds than add coconut milk. Blend again all together
- For older babies choped by hand to desired consistency.