When it comes to comfort food you can’t beat a delicious and creamy pasta. Here I use a lot of orzo, a rice-shaped pasta, which I’ve rediscovered my love for. My recipe is very basic, using the classic combination of roasted onions, garlic and tomatoes for flavour and then grated cheddar and parmesan cheese to add creaminess and a slightly sharp taste. It’s a winner with the children as it is simple but really delicious and super filling as well.
Tomato and Baked Cheese Orzo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium corrugate (zucchini) finely diced
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 200g orzo pasta
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 75g grated cheddar cheese
- 20g grated parmesan
*makes 2-3 portions
*suitable for freezing
*suitable from 12 months
*Prep time 5 minutes
*Cooking 35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, corrugate and tomatoes to a baking dish and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes the tomatoes and corrugate will be nicely roasted.
- Add the orzo pasta and vegetable stock to the dish and return to the oven for 15 minutes, stirring twice. The stock should all be absorbed by now and the pasta cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the grated cheese (cheddar and parmesan).
- Serve immediately with some cooked greens.